Saturday, December 27, 2008

Rush, what?!

I never thought this day would happen, but it has. Since it's really late, and since this is probably not a major occurrence for anyone south of the 49th parallel, I'll be brief.

Tonight, Denise and I attended a Facebook-induced (*vomit*) get-together of friends from high school. It was held at a local pizza place that will figure very prominently in my life in the next few years (more on that in a future post). The get-together was fine, a bunch of people doing the reunion dance, gumshoe-like FAQ, etc. The real highlight of the night was about a half-hour before we left.

I've been a Rush head for years now. I'm one of the new generation of Rush fans as I really started listening in the '90s. I always understood that they were a bit of a niche band for the US, with a couple of big hits during the '80s like Tom Sawyer and Limelight. Sure, they still sell out huge concert venues after thirty years of play, but they still wouldn't break the top twenty-five in all-time great bands for most magazines.

So, I was surprised (aka, tears in the eyes) when a Rush song was played in the bar! Sure, it was only Tom Sawyer, but even that is head-and-shoulders above most of the typical fare. It was the first, and probably one of the very few times, in my life that Rush was played in that kind of location. I'll treasure it always.
--
Tomorrow is a very long car trip, and another missed Oilers game. At least we beat the Canucks last night.

No comments: