Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Kansas City, for Shame

To understand this rant/post/whatever you want to call it, you have to understand something basic. I manage an IT department for a large Internet security company. We have offices all across the United States, including one near Kansas City, where I have two employees. You also need to understand that at this company, we review our employees' performance during January.

Why is all of this important? Because I get the pleasure of going to Kansas City in January. Now, typically weather doesn't bug me. I spent some time in the '80's in Anchorage AK. I would gladly shrug on the mantle of Canadian citizenship to live somewhere insane like Edmonton (but not Calgary). The fact is, though, that Kansas City in January is simply a pain in the neck! Yes, they get cold, but they are in that middle region where, when they get cold, it's just infrequently enough that everyone goes half-way crazy. Three inches of snow could be difficult for drivers in Florida, but Kansas City sees it every year. Get over yourselves and your weatherpeople that crystal ball their way onto the nightly news.

Okay, that part of the rant got out of hand. I'm going somewhere with all of this. I apologize, but we're about to jerk this train back on the tracks. Chug-a-chug.

So I thinks to myself, "Hey! What is good about KC in the winter? It's cold, it's full of big, strong, beef-fed conservatives...They have to have a minor-league hockey team, right? I could go take in a game!"

The Googles shows me all kinds of amateur and junior leagues. (Dear Lord, what will I do without a junior league around here when Jonah/Caelyn get old enough?...No, no, wait. Two rants is enough for one posting.) It looks like a pretty good hockey town, with rinks and everything.

So why don't they have a minor league team?!!!!!!!!

Stupid KC. I'll have to console myself with barbecued beef and Boulevard beer. It's a tough life.

No comments: