Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What have I done?!

Oh gentle nonexistant reader,

You may have noticed that I haven't written anything for some time. I would love to blame the holidays, work schedule, an excess of winning lottery tickets. Unfortunately, the reality is much longer lasting, and makes me think that I've bitten off a little to much.

I have, after ten years of sloth, gone back to school. I enrolled in City University's Masters of Information Technology Management program. Last week was a flurry of reading, answering discussion questions, researching the use of class websites, and interacting with professors. It was good to see that I can hold my own with others in the program, but wow does it require a lot of time!

At the end of the week, however, I felt quite satisfied. The first week experience was good, and made me optimistic that I'll make it through the next couple of years without succumbing to insanity or alcoholism.

It helps, of course, that I am very interested, and have a daily engagement in, the coursework. I would have less success in a general MBA.

--

I'll admit that the holidays did keep me away as well. Lots of travel, lots of weather, and a business trip to Kansas City to start off the year. At least Oilers fans are getting a bit of a New Year's present in a positive streak leading up to the All-Stars game.

--

The astute will notice the date of this posting, and expect something related to the Obama inauguration. I'll say that I am positive and excited about the possibilities of the change of power. On the other hand, my cynical side requests that I pause in evaluations and exaultations until the first one-hundred days pass. Will Obama be a political animal like all of the rest, or will he pull a FDR on us?

No comments: