It's been a long time since I've really truly gotten into the christmas holiday. I mean, everyone gets excited as they sit on their couch, eating a cookie and watching the Peanuts gang magically transform a stick into something beautiful. No, what I'm talking about is the true excitement that used to seize us as children. The excitement that began to bubble up just after Halloween, as the wind picked up, the snow began to fall, and plans for "Who's house this year?" were being made.
The trouble is that we grew up. We lost that excitement in the press of everyday life, in 1500 new Christmas movies a year, in the commercialism. I mean, how many times can we hear from retailers that the holiday season was disappointing before we truly understand that all they want us to do is buy up their overinflated inventories? Christmas lost the magic. Sure, maybe we went to church (maybe), and listened to the old stories. Maybe we felt the spirit of giving infuse us enough to plink a quarter in a kettle, or buy some truly outstandingly thoughtful gift for the significant other of the year. We baked less, drank more, even worked on the holy day itself. Is this ringing a bell with anyone else's twenties?
So what is different this year? For me, it's the thought of slogging back across mountain passes to a place of cold clear weather. A place where the air smells of sage and wood smoke. A place that might not get snow, but who knows what's up in those clouds. When I was growing up, Christmas was always freezing, and it didn't rain.
Another factor is the fact that we'll be spending Christmas in one place. No more portioning time for church, FamilyA, and FamilyB. One place, only. We go, we open presents, we play, cook, talk, sing, and enjoy for the rest of the day. No obligations, just family. Of course our Christmas will be soured by the fact that it won't be the entire family, but hey, steps toward perfection are always positive.
Finally, maybe it's just the thought that this year has been extremely stressful. Work situations, Jonah's delays, Caelyn potty training, and a meriad of other little items are weighing me down like an anchor. I need that unwind. That time when nothing else matters but us. When everything else is secure, safe, and three-hundred miles away.
It's been a long time since I've thought about saying this before Thanksgiving, but I'll say it now: Merry Christmas, everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment