Seeing as it's nice and blustery today, with a bit of sun and cloud, I figure it's a great time to lay out what I like most about autumn. After all, there has to be something good about a season that ushers back in the rain.
- Food - Summer, fall, and winter all have their special foods. Spring gets the short end of that stick, but we don't care at that point as we have been eating heavy all winter. Fall gives us some outstanding produce (only second to summer). Fall mixes good produce with good meats. Turkey and sweet potatoes or buffalo and squash, fall has the balanced diet down solid. Fall is heavy and earthy, where winter is heavy and sweet. Fall is warming meals, in contrary to summer's cooling.
- Beginnings - While the calendar officially starts in January, and the liturgical calendar starts in December, there's an argument for new beginnings in Fall. It probably goes back to school days, when every September marked the beginning of classes. Fall will always seem like a genesis point to me.
- Weather - Fall has the weather thing perfect. Warm days and cool nights. Nice during the day, while we are outside, cool at night so we don't have to run the AC. Rain and sun, snow if you are back in Alaska. Wind and calm. Fall is the mixed bag that makes me want to look outside once every 15 minutes.
- Parties - Some of the best I've been to take place in Autumn. It's like everyone is trying to get one last gasp of summer before it leaves us, so they pull out all the stops. Socializing in the Fall is always interesting (see weather above), but very worth it.
- Sports - When I was a football fan this was more evident. Fall is the main football season. Now, however, football is out (I'm going on two years without watching a game). And so, it takes until September for me to start to get excited. Hockey starts in October!
Another brief update to close out this entry. Bakc in February I discussed my three-pronged self-improvement effort for 2009. Here's an update on each:
- Mental - Easiest one. School has this one easily in hand. I'm learning theories, adapting practice, and pushing my own envelopes.
- Physical - Stalled. I've even quit the gym. The combination of classes, extremely long work hours, and my ankle injury back in April squashed this one. I'm at least trying to eat better.
- Spiritual - Strong. I don't believe in putting everything out here, but I will note that D and I have put a lot into the dedication of our time, talent, and treasure this year, both inside and outside the church. We had an opportunity just recently to very well cover the treasure base, and I'm happy to say that we both stepped up to the plate in a big way. I think that both of us have been successful in growing spiritually, which means that the kids have as well.
Enjoy your cooling months, everyone! Its just a few months and we'll be deep in winter again.
No comments:
Post a Comment