Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Day 3 - Juno Wants Food Rewards

On the second day of class we started some actual in-town guide work. This is truly where the newcomer and retrain experience deviates. For example, I received only pointers on how to better position, command, and gesture to make the dog comfortable and responsive. Others received deeper instruction based on their previous knowledge, ability, and aptitude. The point is that everyone receives what they need, instead of trying to force all clients through the same process.

The Client

Another notable difference from previous classes (or perhaps gap in my memory) is the term used for class members. Classes are now made up of instructors, clients, dogs, and a class supervisor. The difference between the terms “student” and “client” may be subtle, but they continue to emphasize how GDB now views student involvement and interaction. “Client” sets a tone of customer service, instead of teaching. It changes the mindset of all involved.

Clients are paired with dogs to make teams. Teams are assisted by instructors, who are monitored and assisted by a supervisor. (Note: The term “instructor” is used in legal certification of an individual trained to train guide dog service animals. I don’t expect that particular term to change until the certification changes.)

I hope to see more of this concept of servicing clients as my time here progresses.

Juno, Where’d You Go?

Another way that GDB can compress the schedule is through the use of “Juno” guidework and handling practice. Juno is an instructor that holds the harness (guidework) or uses a rolled up carpet with a collar (handling) to simulate the actions and reactions of a real dog. In other words, Juno is an empty harness held in proper fashion by the client and by the back-strap by the instructor. Using Juno, GDB can give clients experiences that either happen to infrequently, or only under extreme circumstances.

Today, for example, Juno was prone to “going off line” in street crossings. This means that, somewhere in the middle of a street crossing, Juno decided it was time to take a sharp left. This is a reaction that a dog will have at least once in their working life…Guaranteed. However, there is no certainty that it will happen in class. Juno allows the client to gain practical experience with this situation in preparation for the time when it occurs at home.

Juno has been a part of class since I received my first dog. Now, however, Juno and actual dog work happens throughout the day. Both are extremely valuable experience-gathering tools, and each offers different opportunities for on-the-fly instructions and spot improvements.

That being said, Juno is not a real guide experience. Besides the fact that my Juno is much taller than my real dog, he also does not get confused by my fumbling for the right course of action in response to a situation. Juno, despite his gaseous or rug-like form, does not have the same psychology as a normal dog, which means I can make mistakes without impact to the bonding and trust-building process.

Some classmates are already reporting growing levels of mental fatigue. If anything, the saturation of experience and information may be the greatest detriment I’ve so-far identified with the latest GDB methodology. I, as a retrain, am no exception. In many areas I can skate through, as I can rely on my previous experience. Yet in other ways I am trying to break down old habits and build up confidence and competence with new methods and philosophies. For the dogs, we are just another handler at the end of the leash and harness. They have seen this all before. It’s up to the human side of the team to ramp-up as quickly as possible.

Tomorrow is Portland. The big city, on just the third day after receiving our dogs.

No comments: