Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Parenting Lessons

Some parenting lessons need to be archived for historical reference. For example, I submit the following discussion from this morning.

R: Is your mommy still in bed?
C: Yes.
R: Please go upstairs and tell her to get up. It's after 7:00.
[Time passes.]
R: So, did she get up?
C: Yep, she got in the shower...Why does mommy like to sleep in?
R: It's just one of those things about mommy. When you are a teenager you'll do the same thing. I'm warning you now, I'm probably going to have to yell at you a lot.
C: Oh.
R: And, when I decide to stop yelling, I'll dump water on you.
C: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! [Thinks for a moment] But, when I'm a teenager, I get my birthright.

Pause here for a second. It's entertaining to note that my daughter's diction is not quite accurate just yet. So, when she says "birthright" it comes out as "burfright". To which I respond "Your what?"

C: My birthright. You know, when you and mom are old, and I get all the stuff.
R: [walking out the door to work] Don't hold your breath, kid. There ain't anything to give.

No comments: