Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Tribute to Radio

Do you remember sports broadcasts on the radio? They are less popular now, but when I was growing up we always had a radio on playing the ball game while we worked in the garage or yard. I grew up listening to hall of fame voices like Dave Niehaus, Pete Gross, and Kevin Calabro. These men were my interface with games that I could not see. They described the complex movements of an athletic event so I could “visualize” the game.

It may be years later, but I still remember these voices. Pete Gross has been gone for twenty years now, but I can still remember his high-pitched and slightly clipped tones. I have never since heard a football game called with the same quality. Pete, I miss you. You would bring me back to watching football.

Football, baseball, and basketball filled my early childhood sports quotient. Basketball in particular, however, I was never really interested in. Sure, there were some fantastic Sonics teams at the time, but basketball was never really my game of choice. It mostly filled the gap between football and baseball seasons.

And then, in 1992, I was introduced to a little game with sticks and pucks. Hockey quickly became a winter-time favorite, as I followed the local WHL affiliate. The Tacoma Rockets taught me the game of hockey, with all of its intricacies. It helped that the Rockets (an expansion team in 1991) were immediately successful, with some fantastic players. They kept my interest.

The Rockets had their own radio broadcast, complete with a notable voice. Adam Gordon’s ability to excite the radio audience was an immediate draw. Like the big three listed above, I never forgot how he called a goal. His voice was fairly plain, if a bit high and nasal, but when Adam got excited, everyone listening got excited.

Through my sister, and attendance at several games a season, I actually was able to meet Adam. In fact, I remember sitting in the press box (as much of one as there was in the Tacoma Dome) for a game or two. I was even allowed to wear the headset, and was interviewed by Adam on one game. For a young kid, excited about this amazing new sport, it was the ultimate experience.

Fast-forward to 2010. The Oilers were excluded from the playoffs for the fourth-straight year. In fact, they were at the bottom of the entire NHL. I am desperate for playoff hockey, and my dad has been talking about the Tricities Americans. The Americans, running on some great scouting, have been a fairly strong team for the past few years. This year they have a shot at taking the Western WHL championships due to a skillful set of forwards and solid goal keeping.

And so tonight I am sitting, listening to an Internet broadcast of Game 4 of the series between the Americans and Vancouver Giants. We’re currently between the second and third period, with the Americans up by a goal.

And I hear the voice! I recognized it right off, but at first I don’t believe my ears. Then, the head announcer mentions that he is working with Adam Gordon tonight, and I get the shivers. I haven’t heard the man’s voice in sixteen years, but he’s embedded in my mind. Despite listening to the understandably hall of fame Rod Phillips for years, Adam Gordon will always remain in his place as my hockey voice.

Good on you Adam for continuing to promote the game we both love through your ability to paint a picture with words.

No comments: